cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing for users (was: Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript)
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:35:32 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

> Now-a-days I think anyone that has done even a bit of Web programming
> has been exposed to some form of Object Model.  Microsoft refers to them
> in their DHTML documentation, then you've got all the various DOMs
> hanging around.

Microsoft isn't actually my official reference. :-) I have the
perception that environment is more generic than object model, but
probably both me and you are too biased. We should ask managers. :-)

> You've pretty well gotta have some comfort with OO
> terms if you're touching Cocoon...

I have to strongly disagree here. Please point me to an example of OO
skills needed to manage a sitemap (*not* develop Cocoon components): if
there are, we are doing something wrong and the just failed to build the
pyramid envisioned a long time ago. You need to know XML, granted, but I
see no real need of OO background.

> Even managers need some basic understanding of OO if they are going to
> manage their staff effectively.  Given that they shouldn't really care
> one of their staff is adapting an environment or an object mode I'd vote
> for object model.  Environment actually sounds harder to explain to the
> managers I know.

Remember that in this case manager != CTO. A sitemap manager is just
someone managing the URI space and building pipelines. And to me it's
quite the opposite: most (sitemap) managers I know would understand
environment much better, since it's not context specific.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino