cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/cocoon/components readme.txt
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:40:32 GMT wrote:
> cziegeler    2003/09/01 02:20:59
>   Added:       src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl
>                src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/cocoon/components/pipeline/impl
>                src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/cocoon/caching
>                src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/cocoon/acting
>                src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/cocoon/components readme.txt
>   Log:
>   New pipeline implementation: caches content for a specific period of time
>   New source implementations: cached source, this wraps another source and caches
>   the content of the wrapped source for a specific period of time.

This is really juicy Carsten! A huge step ahead for mission-critical
Cocoon applications, I've skimmed the readme and it looks definitely
neat. Thanks!

A couple of quick questions:

1. does your implementation update the expires parameters? From a quick
look at the code I'm not sure that it implements the following use case:

- admin sets an expires of 1 day;
- user hits a resource;
- admin changes expires to 1 hour;
- user hits a resource.

what will be the expires value in cache?

2. I've seen that the mod_expires syntax has gone away. Wouldn't it be
the case to keep it, at least for backward compatibility (not to mention
that it's faster to write "1 day 2 hours" rather than 93600.

Anyway, really good job. :-)

Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l. -
Orixo, the XML business alliance -