cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposal a new OJB block
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:02:06 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> hi:
>>
>> Please vote about this proposal:
>
> Antonio,
>
> there's no need to vote in order for you to add code into CVS. Just go
> ahead and commit. :-)

Thanks Gianugo for the support. :-D

> This said, this is not a vote but a few questions:
>
> 1. I still don't see why it shouldn't be part of the database block. I
> understand that dealing with databases directly (manual SQL) or through
> a persistence layer is somewhat different, but then again, with the
> _current_ blocks, I don't quite see the need for "balkanization" of
> database handling stuff;

Hmm. I dont see that as you. People prefer to include in applications just
the code they really need. The current (and future) blocks allow us put
into our local (customized) build of cocoon just the blocks we really need
and nothing more. Based on this idea, I think there will be very little
cases (if no cases at all) when people building new applications will use
both blocks at once.

Also, we are not using any code of the database block.

Also, this is not alkanization, because currently, Cocoon is weak in
database support for complex applications. I think people working with
database will welcome a new database block that allow us to go to the J2EE
arena.

> 2. in case such need exists, I'd rather see a "persistence" block with a
>  set of different implementations (OJB being just one of those).

Same as above.

Thanks for the comments, this type of comments is what I was waiting for.
Before do any post I prefer to discuss about this in the community....

As Descartes said: "Let's measure twice and cut one time". :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.