cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject [VOTE] Proposal a new OJB block
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:10:56 GMT
hi:

Please vote about this proposal:

PROPOSAL
========
Create a new block for OJB integration with Cocoon, called OJB block.

INTRO
=====
In order to fill the gap of the Model in a MVC model and the new way that
Cocoon is taking. I think we need to implement a better Database
integration with Cocoon. In this area I propose to create a new block that
will allow us to use OJB.

WHY START A NEW BLOCK RIGHT NOW?
================================
Sharing an initial code is the first step to start a integration. Between
us are people with valuable experience in Cocoon and Databases that can
helps us to improve this initial effort for the good of the Cocoon project
and his new vision: "a web development framework built around the concepts
of separation of concerns". If we really want to have the separation of
concerns, then we must think in how to separate the Database stuff, is
really here where OJB block fill the gap.

Currently the new component is a full working PersistentManagerFactory for
OJB as a Avalon Component.

WHY ANOTHER DATABASE BLOCK?
===========================
We prefer to build a total new block, because the current database block
have many technologies that people using OJB will not use at all: ESQL,
Tranformer, Database Actions, etc. Then if we just need OJB we can build
our Cocoon without the other database technologies of the database block

WHAT IS OJB?
============
ObJectRelationalBridge (OJB) is an Object/Relational mapping tool that
allows transparent persistence for Java Objects against relational
databases.

OJB has 3 methods for access to Databases: PersistentBroker, ODMG and JDO.

Website: http://db.apache.org/ojb/

FEATURES:
=========
http://db.apache.org/ojb/features.html

ADVANTAGES:
===========

The main advantage of using OJB in Cocoon are:

1-Flexibility: support for multiple persistence API's
2-scalability: designed for a large range of applications, from embedded
systems to rich client application. Integrates smoothly into J2EE
Application servers.
3-Functionality:  OJB uses an XML based Object/Relational Mapping.

WHAT IS DONE?
=============

As I posted at wiki about my first experiments:

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=OJBWithJDO

I already done a PersistentManagerFactory for OJB as a Avalon Component
that allow us to start a the new development for Database integration with
Cocoon.

We are currently working on a functional demo using Woody and Flow.

END WORDS
I hope it is enough to "sell" this new block, that Cocoon really need!  ;-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo