cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: Removing usage of LogKitManager / LogKitManagable
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:03:00 GMT
Peter Royal dijo:
> On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 03:30  PM, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>> Ok, done. The vote for the change was unambiguous. Please review my
>> commits and change the code if necessary.
>
> Done. your changes mirrored mine for the most part, and I just layered
> a few more on top (complete eviction of LogKitManager/able from the
> codebase) as well as allowing logging in CocoonServlet to be replaces
> by a subclass (so now a Log4JCocoonServlet should be pretty easy, if
> someone wants to do it).

Thanks for the nice work. A questions:

1- Why we does not use log4J as the default logger? AFAIK Log4J is part of
Apache and still is alive because is better than the included log
mechanism introduced in J2SDK 1.4.x
2- What we can win or lose if we change. I understand the answer"...once
upon a time.... there was no logger and then there was LogKit......"

This is a nice story, but can someone that know both (Log4J and LogKit)
really said what we can win or lose with changing or staying as we are?

Note: I dont want to start a war, this is sincerely questions to think and
choose the best to our loved Cocoon. :)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.