cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: Writing for users (was: Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript)
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:04:21 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino <gianugo@apache.org> asks:

> I'm fine with the concept, but this brings another question:
> who is the
> average sitemap writer/manager? I would say that in the Cocoon
> management SoC paradigm who manages the sitemap is not
> necessariyl an OO
> programmer (or, for that matter, a programmer altogether). She is
> (probably) knows about XML, HTML and HTTP, but it's far less than
> granted that he knows what an "object model" is.
>
> I think, then, that sitemap semantics should not assume previous OOP
> knowledge, and I would refrain from using programmer-domain specific
> terms to describe the sitemap behaviour. This is why I'm more
> inclined
> towards "environment": it's probably easier to explain to a
> programmer
> that sitemap's environment is actually the object model than having a
> manager understand what the heck an object model is.
>
> Thoughts?

Now-a-days I think anyone that has done even a bit of Web programming
has been exposed to some form of Object Model.  Microsoft refers to them
in their DHTML documentation, then you've got all the various DOMs
hanging around.  You've pretty well gotta have some comfort with OO
terms if you're touching Cocoon...

Even managers need some basic understanding of OO if they are going to
manage their staff effectively.  Given that they shouldn't really care
one of their staff is adapting an environment or an object mode I'd vote
for object model.  Environment actually sounds harder to explain to the
managers I know.