cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Event handling in Woody
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:22:26 GMT
On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 10:59, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> TO ALL:
> I invite you to look at the "Various", "Flowscript" and "Car selector"
> Woody samples in the latest CVS. These demonstrate the styling and
> event-handling features I added to Woody, and I'd be interested in
> having feedback on this.

No time to look in detail at it right now, but I noticed a little
problem with the car selector: if I select a make, type and model, and
then change the make again, it gives an exception.

<snip/>
> An noticeble thing, though : calling Field.getValue() _validates_ the
> field's value, meaning that even if the whole form should not be
> validated, local validation messages can appear, related to the event
> handlers that have been triggered. This gives some useful feedback to
> the user when an intra-form action cannot be performed because the
> fields used by this action are invalid.

Hmmm, wouldn't it then be better to add an isValid() method to the
Widget interface? I think it's best if getValue() simply returns the
value, and doesn't cause any magic side-effects. Also, previously
getValue() returned the value of the widget even if it wasn't valid, and
the conversion from string to object was done in the readFromRequest()
method.