cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Woody dynamic widgets design
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:24:43 GMT
On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 21:06, Timothy Larson wrote:
> Proposal to allow the declarative specification of dynamic widgets in Woody:
> (Use case that is driving dynamic widgets: web-based form and report design gui)
>
> Bruno, if you have a chance could you comment on this before you are gone for the week?
>
> Make the form definition dynamic:
>
>   Rely on aggregation, etc. to ensure all widget definitions are in the same source.
>   Create a container <wd:widgets/> for reusable widget definitions.
>   Create <wd:include/> to reference the reusable widget containers.
>   Create a new discriminated "union" widget with methods:
>     setCase(id) to change the distriminant and corresponding widgets.
>     getCase() to return the current discriminant id.

a first quick reaction (the rest will be for tomorrow, have to leave
now): what exactly should be understood here with "dynamic"?

AFAIU the wd:union is a sort of switch which allows to programatically
enable a set of widgets.

However, I thought in earlier mails you were also implying to
dynamically add new widgets (possibly with dynamically created widget
definitions) to form instances. Or does the wd:union solve all your
use-cases?

(will then comment on the rest later on).