cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Future build
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:05:27 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> ><snip/>
> >
> >>As was posted before, the nightly snapshots are finding his own end life.
> >>The cvs are superseed this type of distribution.
> >
> >Did i miss something? Are the nightly snapshots going to be
> >discontinued? I searched cocoon-dev archives on MARC and could not
> >find relevant messages.

> I agree. And I would like to hear someone say why it is difficult to add
> zip archives to the nightly snapshots (as Jeff Ramsdale mentioned earlier).
>
> I know it is possible to access tgz from Windows, but I think that
> making zips available is a valid idea, given the level of automatic zip
> integration with modern[sic] Windows systems.
>
> Is it hard to add zip to the nightly snapshots? Is there a technical
> reason why we can't do it? After all, the more we do to encourage people
> to develop in/with Cocoon, the better.

If someone wants to pursue this, then they will need to
raise the issue on infrastructure@ mailing list.

Remember that it is an Apache-wide thing, not just Cocoon.

I searched a local archive of infrastructure@ and could not
find any reason (though i may have deleted it). I did find
an important message from Pier:
 Subject: mirroring, web pages, and disk space
 Date: 27 Oct 2002
which sets out "ASF Distribution and Archive Guidelines".
It definitely said both *.tar.gz and *.zip for snapshots.
I don't know what happened to that document - it did not
end up in the "infrastructure" CVS module.

Committers, you can ssh to www.apache.org to look for yourself.
I found reference to a script called "taritup" in the
"apmail" home directory.

By the way, i think that we need more explanation about our
(good) decision to go with source-only dist. I tweaked the
README for the dist/cocoon/ directory and linked to the
Wiki page "LatestRelease" (which also needs tweaking).

--David