cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: CommandManager issues [was Re: Releasing 2.1.1?]
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:01:26 GMT
On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 16:29, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Bruno Dumon wrote:

> > > IMHO, from the feature list it is way too much we need, isn't it?
> >
> > I think many of it are optional features, and those extra features might
> > come in handy some day. If it does everything we need and if it's solid,
> > why not use it?
>
> Hmm, the cocurrency util from Doug Lea does alot Quartz offers.

Hmm, as far as I know, only the threadpool? (which is of course an
important part). Quartz has either a very simple thread pool of its own
or otherwise uses something from jakarta commons. I think it would be
easy to put PooledExecutor behind it.

>  So my
> oppinion was not to add another dependency.

Sometimes it sounds more compelling to add another dependency maintained
by another community than to add more code to Cocoon.

>  Quartz (if I've read the
> feature list correctly) doesn't offer Cron spec parsing,

Hope you look a bit further than the first web page to judge a piece of
software (imagine if people would do that for cocoon...)

See this:
http://quartz.sourceforge.net/javadoc/org/quartz/CronTrigger.html

Furthermore, from having a quick look, quartz is quite modular, with
different implementations available, in its simplest form without any
third party jars requirements.

It also seems to be able to calculate the time to perform to the next
task to be performed.

>  so we have to
> do it anyway. And because I've alread done this for another project some
> times ago I thought to but it into a Scheduler by it own (mean in the
> org.apache.cocoon package space).
>
> So, the scheduler I've proposed is already done. I just have to
> repackage it and add some more javadocs etc. It's about to be ready to
> be committed tomorrow.
>
> If there are still objection I hold on the commits until we reached
> consensus.

I have two more questions:

* what do we need a scheduler for in Cocoon in the first place?

* would your scheduler be able to handle the ContinuationsManager
cleanup task? The specific requirement I'm thinking of is that it
shouldn't be launched concurrently, so if the previous cleanup is still
running it shouldn't be launched a second time.

Other than that, I'll leave it up to your good judgement on what path to
follow, I don't have any experience with any schedulers anyway...