cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Implementing Cocoon Blocks
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:34:33 GMT

On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 13:39 Europe/Rome, Geoff Howard wrote:

> Bruno Dumon wrote:

>>> I don't quite see where these terms would be used - can you explain
>>> a little more?  Maybe a proposed set of changes to the example >>> above?
>> Yep. I meant that the connection tag would become provide:
>>  <provide
>> name="external-skin">cob:yetanothercompany.com/skins/fancy/1.2.2</
>> provide>
>
> I think of the "provide" verb as applying more the the block.xml
> configuration (which isn't yet on the table).

agreed. in fact, I was thinking of "exposes", but "provides" is good
too.

>  The wiring.xml describes not what a block provides, but which
> services provided by other blocks plug in to its named dependencies.

yes, I still believe that "wiring" is a much better name for this.

>  OTOH, I guess the block manager could be seen as "providing" the
> solution to the named dependency...

no, a "block" implements a "behavior" to "provide" a service and is
"connected" to the requiring "block" by the "wiring" created by the
user deploying the "block" thru the "block manager".

the block provides, the block manager connects.

the collection of connections is called "the block wiring".

Note: the above is terminology taken from the electronic metaphore of
wiring and solding chips on a board, where a socket is the block
behavior (the contract) and the chip that goes into the socket is the
implementation.

Historical note: the above was the reasoning from where got the very
first ideas for Avalon. [Federico and I were working on something we
called JLab, which should have been a mix between JavaStudio and
LabView, but we never went anywhere (not surprising since our
once-demo-scene-related-group is called "Beta Version Productions" and
we never finish anything we start ;-)

[but software is never finished anyway, so what?]

>> And the wiring.xml would be called assembly.xml
>> OTOH, I'm meanwhile becoming accustomed to the wiring and connection
>> terms, so let's leave it as wiring and connection for now.
>
> Ok, sounds good.

great

--
Stefano.