cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Proposal a new OJB block
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:42:13 GMT

> From: Gianugo Rabellino
>
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> > hi:
> >
> > Please vote about this proposal:
>
> Antonio,
>
> there's no need to vote in order for you to add code into
> CVS. Just go
> ahead and commit. :-)
>
> This said, this is not a vote but a few questions:
>
> 1. I still don't see why it shouldn't be part of the database
> block. I
> understand that dealing with databases directly (manual SQL)
> or through
> a persistence layer is somewhat different, but then again, with the
> _current_ blocks, I don't quite see the need for "balkanization" of
> database handling stuff;

I don't like this because after Antonio's checkin the database block
wouldn't be "stable" anymore (of course I don't mean the code but the
community behind the new code)

> 2. in case such need exists, I'd rather see a "persistence"
> block with a
> set of different implementations (OJB being just one of those).

I would really like to see this too. The problem is that AFAIK the other
possible ORB frameworks are either commercial or don't have a ASF
compatible licence. Although +1 for "persistence" instead of OJB.

Reinhard