cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Proposal a new OJB block
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:38:58 GMT

> From: Antonio Gallardo
>
> hi:
>
> Please vote about this proposal:
>
> PROPOSAL
> ========
> Create a new block for OJB integration with Cocoon, called OJB block.
>

> INTRO
> =====
> In order to fill the gap of the Model in a MVC model and the
> new way that Cocoon is taking. I think we need to implement a
> better Database integration with Cocoon. In this area I
> propose to create a new block that will allow us to use OJB.
>

> WHY START A NEW BLOCK RIGHT NOW?
> ================================ Sharing an initial code is
> the first step to start a integration. Between us are people
> with valuable experience in Cocoon and Databases that can
> helps us to improve this initial effort for the good of the
> Cocoon project and his new vision: "a web development
> framework built around the concepts of separation of
> concerns". If we really want to have the separation of
> concerns, then we must think in how to separate the Database
> stuff, is really here where OJB block fill the gap.
>
> Currently the new component is a full working
> PersistentManagerFactory for OJB as a Avalon Component.
>

> WHY ANOTHER DATABASE BLOCK?
> ===========================
> We prefer to build a total new block, because the current
> database block have many technologies that people using OJB
> will not use at all: ESQL, Tranformer, Database Actions, etc.
> Then if we just need OJB we can build our Cocoon without the
> other database technologies of the database block
>

> WHAT IS OJB?
> ============
> ObJectRelationalBridge (OJB) is an Object/Relational mapping
> tool that allows transparent persistence for Java Objects
> against relational databases.
>
> OJB has 3 methods for access to Databases: PersistentBroker,
> ODMG and JDO.

Which one do you use?

> Website: http://db.apache.org/ojb/
>

> FEATURES:
> =========
> http://db.apache.org/ojb/features.html
>

> ADVANTAGES:
> ===========
>
> The main advantage of using OJB in Cocoon are:
>
> 1-Flexibility: support for multiple persistence API's
> 2-scalability: designed for a large range of applications,
> from embedded systems to rich client application. Integrates
> smoothly into J2EE Application servers.
> 3-Functionality:  OJB uses an XML based Object/Relational Mapping.
>

> WHAT IS DONE?
> =============
>
> As I posted at wiki about my first experiments:
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=OJBWithJDO
>
> I already done a PersistentManagerFactory for OJB as a Avalon
Component that allow us
> to start a the new development for Database integration with Cocoon.
>
> We are currently working on a functional demo using Woody and Flow.

Cool.

> END WORDS
> ==========
> I hope it is enough to "sell" this new block, that Cocoon really need!
;-D

I buy it!

AFAIK we don't need votes for new 'unstable' blocks - a proposal that
can be discussed is enough. A vote is only necessary for moving from
unstable --> stable.

If I'm wrong I you have my +1 (I'm really pleased to see it - I started
an OJB block on my harddisk but it's not so easy to figure out how OJB
works ... so I can finally decide if I like OJB or Hibernate more)

Reinhard