cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [RT] Performance Block
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:10:51 GMT

> From: Bertrand Delacretaz
>

> Le Dimanche, 28 sep 2003, à 16:28 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard
> Poetz a écrit
> :
> > ...Following all those considerations I want to propose the creation
> > of a
> > new "performance" block that is ready to use for load tests
> - it should
> > contain:
> >
> >  - one or more sample applications following Cocoon design patterns
> >  - performance optimized Cocoon configuration
> >  - JMeter integration
> >  - new Ant build target that creates all necessary things
> >    to run a test within the user's environment:
> >    * container (Jetty)
> >    * application
> >    * JMeter including the test script
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to include JMeter scripts in each block where
> one wants to test performance?
>
> Then, the performance block could find out which blocks are ready for
> performance testing and allow any of them to be tested.
>
> Would be more useful than "just" testing one or two sample apps IMHO.

Why not - I think this is a good idea! And I think we can have both: the
possibility to test each block and one sample block with a set of
applications that don't change but which can re-implemented with another
similar technology: e.g. One application uses js-flowscript and the
other uses apples or simple actions.
The reason why I don't want the applications change is that I want to
make them compareable.

> >  ... and the user can enter
> >  - how much memory he wants to provide for the test
> >  - the number of concurrent users
> >  - the duration
> >  and the cocoon.xconf, the various pool sizes and the settings  for
> > the JVM are set accordingly...
>
> Sounds good but the tester should also be warned that there
> is more to
> Cocoon tuning than just setting available memory.

Yes, of course. A warning with a pointer to
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/performancetips.html should do it.

Reinhard