cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:35:30 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote, On 28/08/2003 16.23:
> With a "tee-view", pipeline would be:
> G[data] -> T[content] -> Tee -> T[page] -> T[html] -> S -> Browser
>                           \
>                             -> T[links] -> Hashmap
>
> With a "virtual transformer" as far as I understand resulting pipeline
> will be:
> G[data] -> T[content] -> T[links] -> LinkGatherer -> T[page] -> T[html]

> -> S -> Browser
>
> And the output sent to the browser will be garbage, right? Or, you are
> also proposing to use a tee (I haven't seen it in your proposal)?

Thanks for explaining it this way, now I understand what you mean.

Well, I did not talk of how to insert a T[links] section, so now I see
why you say it is flawed.

What I mean is that the LinkGatherer is a "virtual transformer" that
does not modify its output WRT the input. How to do it is not part of my
example, and using a tee is one way, using an xslt, then gathering, then
retransforming again is another (kind of tee using namespaces).

The problem arises when you insert the tee or the virtual transformer
and have problems with caching, *or* have to keep that step even if you
don't want it.

Anyway, as I said, both are ok as long as it remains fast and gives us
the features we need.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -