cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:47:21 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote, On 28/08/2003 14.00:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>> *IMPORTANT* (and the reason why I started the RT):
>> So in he CLI, instead of asking for the link view and then generate, I
>> simply ask Cocoon to insert a transformer that gathers links in the
>> same positions where the links view would.
>>
>> This would make it possible for the CLI to have the configurability of
>> the view gatherer but the speed of the transfomer gatherer.
>
> Links view is not a transformer. It's a view, meaning that it can have
> actions, matchers, selectors, transformers, and should end with text
> serializer. So, you cannot simply add one transformer and think that you
> are done with links view.

When I say Transformer here I mean Virtual Transformer, that can be all
you say above, as I suggest in the RT. This also means that this virtual
Transformer can also do the link exclusion and other things that are
needed and that a simple transformer cannot do.

> In addition to this, adding a transformer
> would not work because this alters pipeline cache key which prevents
> such legitimate CLI usages as pre-populating persistent cache.

I do not see the case in which this happens. Could you explain more please?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105708533500966&w=2

> and
> Upayavira is looking into ways of implementing it. I would help him out
> but right now I can't.

I know, but doing it as I say is conceptually equivalent to attaching
links tee to main pipeline, so it's an alternative way, but that has
extra features.

Conceptually

   generator
   >inserted gatherer vt<  --- (links hashmap)
   serializer

What propose

   generator
   >inserted tee -> view -> parser<  --- (links hashmap)
   serializer

Which is basically the same, only that I use a virtual transformer and
you use a view. Make the view call the same virtual transformer, and the
results are the same only that my proposal is more generic.

Oh well, whatever, as long as it works...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -