cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Simmons" <robert.simm...@norcom.de>
Subject Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:08:55 GMT

"Gianugo Rabellino" <gianugo@apache.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3F4DD22A.6030004@apache.org...
> Robert Simmons wrote:
> > Actually, I was proposign the removal of the avalon logging mechanism
> > completely.
>
> You'll have to provide a very good technical reason for that, much more
> than "I like Log4J better" or "Log4J is cool". Consider that:

How about the fact that multiple layers of logging exacerbate performance
problems intrinsic to logging. Also how about the fact that Log4j is faster
and far more powerful and flexible in production environments where you may
want logging to go to a specific server. Also how about the fact that most
other java products that log use log4j and very very few use avalon logging.
This allows a support center to set up a logging monitor stations for system
health monitoring.

I think about the business applications of cocoon which are far different
than the open source programming aspects.

> 1. Avalon logkit can use Log4J as the backend enging while, to the best
> of my knowledge, the opposite is not true;

Then you have a multi-layer logging mechanism which is evil for performance
reasons.

> 2. logging is tightly integrated inside the Avalon lifecycle, which is
> tied to logkit. Changing it to Log4J would be painful to say the least.

This point I cant speak to. Personally I know so few products that use
avalon that I wonder why cocoon hasnt gotten away from it but perhaps that
isnt possible. *shrug* Avalon is as old as AWT and I think just as outdated.

> But, in case there are very good reasons for it, I guess no Cocoon
> developer was ever married to logkit, and a better solution is always
> welcome. Let me be skeptical, though. :-)

Skeptical is good as long as it doesnt change into stubborness.