cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Starting 2.2
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:02:39 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Ah, so we'll have a 2.2 repo containing only those parts whose structure
> will change, and keep the 2.1 repo as a "fallback" for those parts whose
> structure is the same (but who may have been upgraded since 2.1.0) ?
>
> But how do we decide that some modifications should occur in 2.2 and not
> in 2.1 ?

Yupp.

> >As I expect that we will end in a different structure when we
> have real blocks (e.g. perhaps a blocks repository etc.) this
> would be imho an easier migration strategy.
> >

> That's right. With real blocks, we'll have several distinct CVS
> repositories. But will we have distinct "kernel" and "core component"
> blocks ? Should the kernel be really naked (in which case it may even
> contain only the block manager and the main interfaces but nothing
> else), or should it provide the common services used by every
> application (e.g. WildcardMatcher, FileGenerator, HTMLSerializer, etc) ?

I'm not sure if we will have this distinction, so I thought perhaps moving
them (generators etc) out and later move them into the core again is less
pain then having to maintain two branches. Perhaps the latter one is easier,
I honestly don't know.

> >Does this make sense?
> >

> Yep. But the granularity has to be found. Maybe we should wait for
> Stefano's RT so that everybody has a common understanding of the
> consequences of blocks on the Cocoon organisation.

Hmm, yes, but we could start the 2.2 repo with the current core source,
so we have a starting point. I expect that blocks will require longer
discussions and I personally don't want to wait with 2.2 for this.

Carsten