cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/html/lib .cvsignore jtidy-04aug2000r7-dev.jar
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:25:03 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> First, let's make this clear: it's good that people contribute to the
> new portal framework. So thanks, Friedrich, Gerald and Gernot, for
> donating this back to the community. Also, I fully trust Carsten in
> reviewing the code before committing.
>
> OTOH, I'm still seriously concerned with this happening, especially
> since I've seen this before. We (= the Cocoon PMC) have the duty to
> provide legal oversight over the ASF Cocoon codebase. For anything else
> than bugfixes and minor patches, especially for new code, we must ensure
> copyright is correctly transferred, and that the ASF cannot be subject
> of patent infringement lawsuits, and all that. Hence the CLA all
> committers are supposed to sign and fax.
>
> Of course, I'm very confident that Carsten has done this with the best
> possible intentions, but "Contributions to the portal" is hardly an
> intuitive commit message, and a quick search for the three people
> involved didn't bring up much prior discussion on the lists. If people
> show up off-list with anything but trivial contributions, they should be
> discussed or at the very least mentioned on the dev list before being
> committed.
>
> I know I'm not making myself popular here and now, but given the
> increased number of commercial entities involved with Cocoon and its
> community, we're better safe than sorry.
>
> Sorry again for the tone.

No problem.

Now, the usual way of contributing would be submitting a patch into
bugzilla and someone of the committers would look at the patch and
(perhaps) apply it, right?
So, if instead of entering this into bugzilla, the patch is send
directly to a committer looking at the patch and then (perhaps) applying
it, where is the difference?

All files checked in have the appropriate licence, have the correct
author tags etc and I'm really happy that people are contributing to
Cocoon, especially to the Cocoon portal.

Carsten