cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:06:31 GMT

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 14:17 Europe/Rome, Steven Noels wrote:

> I still believe authentication code should be orthogonal to actual
> application logic, and rather be defined by the container.

Sure, too bad everybody has a different opinion on what the container
is.

If you talk to os kernel folks, they think authentication should happen
right at TCP/IP stack level, if you talk to httpd, they will give you
an apache module, if you talk to servlet engine folks, they will give
you a web.xml descriptor or, if you are lucky, a servlet filter, if you
talk to sitemap lovers, they will give you an action.

And all of them will think they are doing it right and the one above
them are just asking for trouble.

> In this discussion, I think 'sitemap' == 'container'. Also, since
> authentication-requiring realms are a part of the overall URI
> namespace, when finding out which parts need authentication, I would
> check first with the container (web.xml) -> sitemap.xmap -> > flowscript.

well, follow the entire chain and you'll get down to IPSEC.

In fact, "in media stat virtus" (balance is in the middle, for the
latin unsavy) and complex authentication/authorization schemes may well
require several progressively refined steps, each happening in their
own realm.

So, it might be useful to use a firewall at the kernel level to avoid
DoS, then HTTPd SSL authentication and tunneling (in the web server for
performance and scalability), then app-level authorization based on the
SSL parameters passed on.

> Not making authentication handling part of your application is one of
> the first things I learned over here, when greeting Giacomo at
> ApacheCon in London.
>
> So, if you guys are talking about authentication with actions vs
> flowscript & interceptors, what are you talking about: doing the
> authentication, or checking authorization?

In the example I made, both authentication and authorization were done
in the same interceptor (well, the authentication stage was handled by
an external polymorphic component).

--
Stefano.