cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: MIDI block - copyright issue
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 07:09:51 GMT
Le Mercredi, 6 aoû 2003, à 07:03 Europe/Zurich, Mark Leicester a écrit :

> ...Attached is the block in a zip, and this is the gump entry (I think
> this is
> correct?):

I compiled your block and technically everything is ok, great!

I have a problem with the copyright notice of your MIDI generator
though, I reproduce it below in case others want to comment.

Question to Mark:
IIUC your code is based on P.A.Loeb's work and he wants to retain the
copyright on it, is that right?
I don't think the mit-license is a problem as it allows you to do
anything with the code, but I'm not sure about the copyright.

Question to the Cocoon team:
is that ok to have such code here, where parts are copyrighted by
non-ASF entities?

I'm not too comfortable with these legal issues, hopefully someone else
can help here.
Once the legal stuff is ok, I'd be happy to commit the block.

-Bertrand

Here's the header of the MIDIGenerator source code:

/*
  * Created on Aug 2, 2003
  * by Mark Leicester
  *
  * Portions of this code are Copyright (c) 2000, Peter Arthur Loeb
  * Distributed under the MIT license (see below)
  */

/*
The following licence has been copied from
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html

Copyright (c) 2000, Peter Arthur Loeb

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT
SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS
IN
THE SOFTWARE.
*/