cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject [RT] WebDAV proxy / DASL search in Cocoon
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:36:10 GMT
Following up on Gianugo's wild idea [1] that Cocoon could be used to
implement the DASL part of a WebDAV server..

IIUC, in WebDAV, operations that work on properties are mostly distinct
from operations that work on file contents (apart some problem areas
listed below).

If I'm right, this would allow Cocoon to proxy most WebDAV operations
to a non-DASL WebDAV backend, and process the few operations that
relate to properties (PROPFIND, PROPPATCH, SEARCH) directly, storing
properties in a database.

This would make it possible to use existing WebDAV servers, and enhance
them with DASL searches, using any JDBC database to store properties
(that's the key point when comparing to Catacomb).

Cocoon would proxy the following operations to the WebDAV backend:
GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, MKCOL

And handle the following operations:
PROPFIND, PROPPATCH, SEARCH

Problem areas:
-OPTIONS, backend response must be completed with DASL info (easy)
-MOVE and COPY, URIs must stay in sync between file storage and
properties, not too hard to do
-Locking must lock both file contents and properties (I assume),
slightly harder
-TRACE?

This could fit nicely with a project that I'm working on, where we need
webdav-like capabilities but no locking and probably no move or copy
operations.

Thoughts?
Does this sound too hackish? ;-)

-Bertrand