cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:02:10 GMT

On Thursday, Aug 28, 2003, at 15:47 Europe/Rome, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi said:
>> Berin, I think that Robert has a valid point here, and that is
>> similar  to what Avalon said about Logkit and Log4j.
>>
>> When I was still in Avalon, Avalon had informally agreed to push
>> Logkit  EOL in favor of log4j, and the log4j community accepted
>> the challenge of  bridging the last differences still remaining.
>>
>> Why is this point much different from the one Robert is talking
>> about?
>
> Well, Robert's assertion is ambigious. Does he say;
>
> Drop
>    void enableLogging( Logger logger );
>
> and let every component do,
>
>   logger = Logger.getLogger( this.getClass().getLogger() );
>
> OR,
>
> "Let Log4J be the default logger backend, and have the Log4J
> configuration handily available."
>

> I think Berin is -1 on the first, but more receptible to the latter.

I *strongly* dislike the use of static methods for multi-context
environments.

If I have two instances of cocoon running in the same servlet
container, which Log4j configurations will handle them? what if the log
of one servlet ends up being in the log of another one?

Huge security issue here.

--
Stefano.