cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Views for readers
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:28:31 GMT

On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 19:07 Europe/Rome, Miles Elam wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Here is another wild (or not?) thought.
>

> Not so wild to me.
>
>> All this discussion comes down to the requirement of generating some
>> XML out of the content usually served by the reader, if that's
>> possible (and it is possible for some of the types of the content),
>> in order to feed this XMLized content into the view. This generated
>> XML is somewhat "equivalent" to the binary represenation for the
>> purpose of view building. So, I'm going to the conclusion that some
>> types of readers can be paired with the generator producing
>> "equivalent", but XMLized, content. The best place to indicate such
>> pairing is the time when you declare a reader:
>

> <snip idea="interesting"/>
>
> The syntax looks a bit ugly to me, but the idea seems much more sane
> to me.
>
>> PS: Modifying sitemap syntax to allow reader/generator pairs with
>> some "unless" attrbiutes looks awful to me.
>

> Complete agreement.  One of the reasons for the sitemap (*the*
> reason?) is for the simple and easy management of a site.  Some recent
> proposals seem to be pushing in the direction of Apache HTTPd's
> mod_rewrite;  A lot of flexibility by adding "just one more > construct."
>
> From the mod_rewrite page:
>
>    "The great thing about mod_rewrite is it gives you all the
>    configurability and flexibility of Sendmail. The downside to
>    mod_rewrite is that it gives you all the configurability and
>    flexibility of Sendmail."
>
>    -- Brian Behlendorf
>    Apache Group
>
>    "Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo.
>    Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo."
>
>    -- Brian Moore
>    bem@news.cmc.net
>
> It'd be a shame if the sitemap became a cousin to mod_rewrite despite
> the cool voodoo.

I can hardly agree more!

> - Miles Elam
>

> P.S.  I shudder to think of what will happen to search index creation
> times when multi-megabyte Word documents and the like are sent down
> the pipe.  The parsers, however efficient they may turn out to be,
> will still have to contend with seemingly endless streams of seemingly
> pointless formatting cruft.  I'm sure we've all seen 10MB files that
> would be <100K in proper HTML I'm sure.  Ah well...'tis the cost of
> progress, I guess.

cocoon is not about binary and should *NOT* touch them. Readers were
implemented as helpers. multi-views for binary files belong to the
repository level, not to the publishing level!!!

I haven't read all email left (300 more to go after 5 days of offline)
but I strongly hope you haven't implemented this or I'll scream!!!

--
Stefano.