cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Writing for users
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:16:22 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

>>> Damn, great point.
>>> So, back one step: could "adapt-environment" help? or is
>>> "environment" not good enough for people to understand?
>>> What do others think?
>> Mmmh... Up to now, the environment is mostly non visible to regular
>> components (i.e. out of the sitemap/pipeline machinery). Exposing it
>> may lead to many abuses and misuses.
>> I would go back only a half-step : "adapt-object-model" sounds better
>> as it provides all that it needed for Gianugo's use cases, and avoids
>> messing up the environment.
> I'm fine with the concept, but this brings another question: who is
> the average sitemap writer/manager? I would say that in the Cocoon
> management SoC paradigm who manages the sitemap is not necessariyl an
> OO programmer (or, for that matter, a programmer altogether). She is
> (probably) knows about XML, HTML and HTTP, but it's far less than
> granted that he knows what an "object model" is.
> I think, then, that sitemap semantics should not assume previous OOP
> knowledge, and I would refrain from using programmer-domain specific
> terms to describe the sitemap behaviour. This is why I'm more inclined
> towards "environment": it's probably easier to explain to a programmer
> that sitemap's environment is actually the object model than having a
> manager understand what the heck an object model is.
> Thoughts?

I share your concerns, and my proposal was actually more about the
abilities of this kind of component than its naming. So we can consider
using the "adapt-environment" sitemap statement using components
adapting a _subset_ of the environment, which is the object model.

Orixo, the opensource XML business alliance  -

View raw message