cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Writing for users (was: Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript)
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:25:14 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> You might need to have access to the response too. In WebDAV world,
>>> as an example, you need to set a whole bunch of headers (Allow:,
>>> DAV:, MS-Author-Via - yuck - and more), and a DASL component needs to
>>> specify the search vocabularies supported. True, you can do it by
>>> hand, but it would be much better if such manipulation could be done
>>> by a "request-factory".
>>

>> Damn, great point.
>>
>> So, back one step: could "adapt-environment" help? or is "environment"
>> not good enough for people to understand?
>>
>> What do others think?
>

> Mmmh... Up to now, the environment is mostly non visible to regular
> components (i.e. out of the sitemap/pipeline machinery). Exposing it may
> lead to many abuses and misuses.
>
> I would go back only a half-step : "adapt-object-model" sounds better as
> it provides all that it needed for Gianugo's use cases, and avoids
> messing up the environment.

I'm fine with the concept, but this brings another question: who is the
average sitemap writer/manager? I would say that in the Cocoon
management SoC paradigm who manages the sitemap is not necessariyl an OO
programmer (or, for that matter, a programmer altogether). She is
(probably) knows about XML, HTML and HTTP, but it's far less than
granted that he knows what an "object model" is.

I think, then, that sitemap semantics should not assume previous OOP
knowledge, and I would refrain from using programmer-domain specific
terms to describe the sitemap behaviour. This is why I'm more inclined
towards "environment": it's probably easier to explain to a programmer
that sitemap's environment is actually the object model than having a
manager understand what the heck an object model is.

Thoughts?

--
Gianugo Rabellino