cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Migrate from the aging ECM
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:59:42 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> The new Cocoon should be able to use the new Fortress container.
>>> This should
>>> have little to no impact on component writers.  It boasts faster
>>> startup, and
>>> it provides easier component definition.  I will be happy to do the
>>> work.
>>>
>>> +1 from me.
>>
>> +1, but I (still) would like to hear quick comment on Fortress vs
>> Merlin. I heard on avalon-dev that merlin is gonna be that new craze.
>
> Consider Fortress a stepping stone from ECM to Merlin.  Once Cocoon has
> done
> all the work to move to Fortress, it becomes trivial to host in Merlin.
> The main things here are:
>
> 1) Merlin does not support ServiceSelector.
> 2) Fortress provides mechanisms to make the ServiceSelector unecessary, but
>    seamlessly supports components that still hold on to it.
> 3) Merlin does not support the ThreadSafe, SingleThreaded, Poolable
> interfaces.
> 4) Fortress still supports them for legacy components--but it encourages
> the
>    new meta-data enabled way.
>
> These are the key areas where Cocoon *needs* Fortress for the immediate
> shift.
> I would much rather work toward the immediate need, because we can still
> work
> with Cocoon while we are doing the other migrations.
>
> It is important to note that Merlin has a number of features that Fortress
> does not have--but Fortress provides a number of features that ECM doesn't
> have.  When Merlin is officially released, it will be 100% Fortress
> compatible.

Ok, then I'll be +1.  But this raises a point which is for some reason
contentious on the list the last few days:

Wouldn't it be better not to do this change on the 2.1.x line?  I am
assuming that this change would break back-compatibility in some points
at least of custom components, etc. and that should be avoided on a
released version.

Could someone (Berin?) give an estimate of what the "damage" would be
even if we agree it's a good move?

Geoff