cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hochsteger <e9625...@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject Re: [RT] Implementing Cocoon Blocks
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:12:28 GMT

Geoff Howard wrote:

*snip many good suggestions from Geoff and Stefano*

> For sake of discussion, I recorded a wire-id instead of the location.
> Can blocks be in other locations other than WEB-INF/blocks/{$wire-id} ?
 >
> I also considered recording the wire-id instead of the uri for
> connections between blocks - what are the arguments for each?

Where does the wire-id come from?
Is it an ID which is dynamically created at deployment time or has that
to be unique among all possible blocks on the net (would be hard to manage)?

> <connection> was out of the blue using the wiring metaphore.  Other
> options?  Free association: connect, attach, solder, wire, use ...

Do the terms 'connection' and 'wire' represent the block dependencies?
If so, why not just call them so?
I think it's much easier to understand IMHO.
Wiring is perceived as complicated at least in my mind although I've
learned how to create electronic circiuts ;-)

> Is it wise to limit configurations to name-value pairs, or should that
> allow arbitrary foreign xml markup?

Arbitrary foreign XML markup might not be a mistake IMO.

> For configuration, should a distinction be made between any create-time
> values and deploy-time values, or is that pointless once the wiring has
> happened?
>
> For the wiring connections: should the matching uri even be recorded
> here, or only the role its looking for? (I think the uri, but just
> tossing out questions).
>
> What blocks version is this?  1.0? 1.1? 2.1? 2.2?
>
> Hack away,
> Geoff

Bye,
	Andreas