cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Simple "production build" directions
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:40:27 GMT
Timothy Larson wrote:
> --Simple proposal for a "production build" for Cocoon--
>
> Create a new file "production.build.properties,
> and refer to it in a new step 2 in INSTALL.txt:
>
> Proposed changes to "INSTALL.txt":
>
> (Insert a new step 2)
>  2) For a full build skip to step 3
>
>   To make a production build without the documentation, samples, scratchpad,
>   or deprecated code simply copy the file "production.build.properties"
>   to "local.build.properties" before going on to step 3.
>   See below if you are rebuilding or wish to further customize the build.
>
> (And, of course, renumber the following steps)
>  3) Build Cocoon by typing "build" or "./build.sh"
>
>  4) Run Cocoon by typing "cocoon servlet" or "./cocoon.sh servlet"
>
>  5) Open http://localhost:8888/ with your browser
>
> Proposed new file "production.build.properties":
>
>   # ---- Webapp Exclusions ----
>   exclude.webapp.documentation=true
>   exclude.webapp.javadocs=true
>   exclude.webapp.idldocs=true
>   exclude.webapp.scratchpad=true
>   exclude.webapp.samples=true
>   # ---- Build Exclusions ----
>   exclude.scratchpad=true
>   exclude.deprecated=true
>   exclude.javadocs=true
>   exclude.idldocs=true
>
> How is this for a simple solution?

It will be easy to add a new build target "production-seed" (or
something to that effect) which would set those values and perform other
steps as needed.  This would change the instructions to 1) edit blocks
properties 2) ./build.sh production-seed.  Would that be better in your
mind, or is a sample properties better?  I can see positives with both
solutions.

The key is not how to accomplish it (because the pieces are already in
place in the build to do either), but _what_ to accomplish.

Also, are there other config issues can be agreed on for this
target/recommended setting?  Logging level?  Allow/Deny uploads?

Geoff