cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integratign a W3C XForms implementation into the Cocoon Project?
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:56:22 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Since it never arrived...
>
> Berin Loritsch said:
>
>>Robert Simmons wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>One thing that I would like to see is Cocoon supporting the
>>>XForms 1.0 standard as described on W3C.
>>>
>>>http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/
>>>

>>I would advise against the XForms standard because it is
>>severely broken for client/server type applications.  XForms
>>ONLY makes
>>sense in a pure client setting.
>

> I would like to hear an elaboration of why this is the case.
>
> Why would this not be useful?
>
> App-->XForm --XHTML adaption--> XHTML form
>                               user action
> App<--XML Result <--adaption-- XHTML Response
>
> And later when the UA is XForm capable, the adaption stage is
> dropped from the pipeline.

In the eXFormula project I did a while ago, with the spec as it was,
we could only go so far.

Not to mention that the XForms document mixes alot in the equation.
You need to gain information from three sources: model, view, and
controller.  These are wired together via XML documents.  Unfortunately,
sometimes the XML documents are all assembled into one and other times
they are completely separate.  This makes the adaptation layer very
complex.  In many cases it would be far easier to work it all in the
client where we have access to the documents in a much more easily used
manner.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin