cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:19:50 GMT
Robert Simmons wrote:

> I wasnt accusing anyone of being childish. I wish you wouldnt put words in
> my mouth. I merely meant that the demands of a business environment are
> quite different then the demands of non-business environments.

Please rest assured that many (probably most) of us know what the
demands of business environments are.

> Many open
> source projects have yet to bridge this gulf and only a few have done it
> sucessfully (apache web server, ant, log4j, tomcat, jboss). For example, the
> decision to NOT distribute a binary build of cocoon is a good example of
> going in the opposite direction of business. Many business consultants are
> not interested in building source, but rather using the product as is.

Oh, gosh... will not distributing a binary build be enough for us not to
"cross the bridge"? Let's have a party on this side of the river with
Linus then. Oh, and please tell me where you are going to find Gnome or
KDE binary distributions (RPM, DEB and other linux distro packages don't
count). And tell the FreeBSD guys that their port system is doomed.

Anyway, here is your binary distribution:

$ cat > setup.sh
./build.sh war > install.log 2>&1
if [ $? == 0 ]
then
   echo "Installation successful, Cocoon war installed in
`pwd`/build/cocoon.war"
else
   echo "Installation failed, plese check install.log for details"
fi
^D

Rant apart, you might have a point in blaming Cocoon of not being
"business friendly", and I'm starting to consider that there might be
room for someone to come up and be Cocoon's RedHat, providing
"production" builds and "certified" WARs, thus relieving the Cocoon
community in these issues. Any Orixians listening? ;-))

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino