cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: forced caching of volatile data
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:55:51 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> writes:

> Again, no change to the impact on the cache.  Just less Cocoon code:
> everything is considered for caching, no key or no validity, no caching.
> Same as today; but currently it's possible not to be even asked for a
> key or validity. Going forward you'd always be asked (or the abstract
> code would always be asked) but you could still decline to be cached.
>
>>>By itself, the component still doesn't cache even when in a caching
>>>pipeline.  Only when the expiry is sent is the pipeline
>>bludgeoned into
>>>the cache.  Would this still be considered a violation of
>>the contract?
>>
>>Another problem I see with this is it locks into a time-based
>>(expires)
>>cache validity.
>
> Umm why?  You can still invalidate the validity in any manner you see
> appropriate, or for that matter, you can still manage the cache of
> actual data in any way you see fit...

I may have been jumping to conclusions, but my assumption based on the
overall discussion was that to make forced caching easier that most of
the Impl components would have a validity provided.  For instance the
discussion on the added complexity of configuring my solution.  I could
be misunderstanding here, though?

Good point on the sensitive data issue - I assume your work has similar
requirements? (from what I remember)

Geoff