cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Personality in docs (Was: Re: 'Production' build for Cocoon?)
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:53:31 GMT
Roger I Martin PhD wrote:

> Right now INSTALL.txt needs some things cut out of it:

[stuff-snipped]

I'd like to point out a few Theses of the Cluetrain which apply here:

14. Corporations do not speak in the same voice as these new networked conversations. To their

intended online audiences, companies sound hollow, flat, literally inhuman.

15. In just a few more years, the current homogenized "voice" of business—the sound of mission

statements and brochures—will seem as contrived and artificial as the language of the 18th
century
French court.

16. Already, companies that speak in the language of the pitch, the dog-and-pony show, are
no longer
speaking to anyone.

17. Companies that assume online markets are the same markets that used to watch their ads
on
television are kidding themselves.

18. Companies that don't realize their markets are now networked person-to-person, getting
smarter
as a result and deeply joined in conversation are missing their best opportunity.

19. Companies can now communicate with their markets directly. If they blow it, it could be
their
last chance.

20. Companies need to realize their markets are often laughing. At them.

21. Companies need to lighten up and take themselves less seriously. They need to get a sense
of humor.

22. Getting a sense of humor does not mean putting some jokes on the corporate web site. Rather,
it
requires big values, a little humility, straight talk, and a genuine point of view.

I don't mind making the docs a little more "pofessional sounding" but I'd really, really hate
to see
the personality stripped from them as well.  We're all people here, not robots.  I'd rather
read
someone's genuine opinion about why Cocoon kicks so much ass instead of reading about the
latest
buzzword of the day.

Tony