cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/html/lib .cvsignore jtidy-04aug2000r7-dev.jar
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:16:02 GMT
Roger I Martin PhD wrote:
> Hi Carsten,
>
> Just a thought about something I've run into.  When a third party makes a
> block or webapp that depends on the same lib but a different version, can
> the jar indexing capability of jdk1.4 jar utility be employed to resolve the
> issues?  It involves placing and maintaining a correct Class-Path: ... in
> the jar's manifest and then running jar -i *.jar.
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/jar.html#i
>
> Also does anyone know if the indexing really does or would affect the speed
> of bringing up a wepapp and say Tomcat?
>
> Roger

I have no experience with this but have been interested in it.  Would
this necessarily introduce a dependency on 1.4? (in which case I doubt
we'd decide to go that way?)  Or would it only require jar-ing with 1.4
and writing backwards compatible classloaders which respect the indexing?

Geoff (reading the link now)