cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/html/lib .cvsignore jtidy-04aug2000r7-dev.jar
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:36:33 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Now, the usual way of contributing would be submitting a patch into
> bugzilla and someone of the committers would look at the patch and
> (perhaps) apply it, right?
> So, if instead of entering this into bugzilla, the patch is send
> directly to a committer looking at the patch and then (perhaps) applying
> it, where is the difference?

I would say that there are at least three differences:

1. it's more "politically correct" to the community: in practice there
is little or no difference, but at a very least there is a delta of time
where it's possible to discuss the patch;

2. <lawyer-hat-on>if a user uploads a patch to Bugzilla, from a legal
standpoint it's more clear that it's been *him* willing to donate the
code to the ASF. As of now it's just you acting both as a proxy and as a
witness for him</lawyer-hat-on>;

3. the contributing user gets more recognition and, since recognition is
our only way to pay him back, I think it's better for both us and them
to go through Bugzilla.

No one of the above is a compelling reason: there are cases when it just
makes sense to commit right away. I'd just think of it as a "best practice".

This is no different from what I did with Guido. I think it's pretty
clear to everyone here that I and Guido have many reason to work offlist
being both working for Orixo companies, but after the initial joint
WebDAV contribution, when he sent me a first patch I asked him to go
through Bugzilla so that the community was at least aware of what he was
doing.

This, however, doesn't change the fact that me too:

> I'm really happy that people are contributing to
> Cocoon, especially to the Cocoon portal.

All contributions are most welcome. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino