cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Multiple Continuations?
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:06:06 GMT

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
>
>>I'm currently wondering if it is possible that a user has several
>>continuations at the same time.
>>
>>I'm investigating if it's possible to combine our flow with portlets.
>>Imagine, a portal with several portlets and each portlet running an own
>>web application. Each application is developed with Cocoon using flow
>>and is invoked using internal pipeline calls.
>>So you need a separate continuation to persist the state of
>>each application.
>>
>>If the user changes the state of one application, the others are not
>>affected (and not "activated") and not even invoked.
>>
>>Is this possible?
>
> Hi Carsten!
>
> I think this is posible. The question is if at the current flow
> development is this posible. But your proposal is really amazing! I will
> be glad to have such behavior in my applications.

Carsten,

same experience here: nothing should prevent you from holding those
different states over at the server (at least not at the layer of the
WebContinuations: I haven't waded deep enough into the js implementation
to understand all usage of the session that could block this)

So if I understand correctly you would have different portions of the
screen filled in by different widgets that each introduce their own set
of URI's holding their particular continuation ID?

of course this more ties the portlet to the continuation id then a
flow-script (or Apple for that matter) which feels odd to me since I
keep seeing a portlet as a widget/screen (thus view) component and a
flowscipt as a controller

Hm, I guess this goes along with how you are conceiving Dywel? For all
we've talked about it I sensed the same tendency to somewhat treat
controllers and views as being one and the same..

The distinction is probably only in my head, and surely the way web
encodes everything over one URI + set of request parameters adds
argumentation to your view...

So while it's not my natural view, I'm quite interested where all of
this is bringing you, sounds like something could be learned here.

regards,
-marc=