cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/html/lib .cvsignore jtidy-04aug2000r7-dev.jar
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:11:27 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> Ui, Steven, hard words. I can understand your irritation, it's not the
> way I would like to see such stuff goes. But offending somebody in such
> an aggressive way on the public list ??

Well, it's the classical case of not paying enough attention before
pressing the send button. I'm really good at this. :-|

So apologies for the tone, it was intended for the PMC list, and I was
composing a follow-up message already. But I guess I'd better continue
the discussion in public:

First, let's make this clear: it's good that people contribute to the
new portal framework. So thanks, Friedrich, Gerald and Gernot, for
donating this back to the community. Also, I fully trust Carsten in
reviewing the code before committing.

OTOH, I'm still seriously concerned with this happening, especially
since I've seen this before. We (= the Cocoon PMC) have the duty to
provide legal oversight over the ASF Cocoon codebase. For anything else
than bugfixes and minor patches, especially for new code, we must ensure
copyright is correctly transferred, and that the ASF cannot be subject
of patent infringement lawsuits, and all that. Hence the CLA all
committers are supposed to sign and fax.

Of course, I'm very confident that Carsten has done this with the best
possible intentions, but "Contributions to the portal" is hardly an
intuitive commit message, and a quick search for the three people
involved didn't bring up much prior discussion on the lists. If people
show up off-list with anything but trivial contributions, they should be
discussed or at the very least mentioned on the dev list before being
committed.

I know I'm not making myself popular here and now, but given the
increased number of commercial entities involved with Cocoon and its
community, we're better safe than sorry.

Sorry again for the tone.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org