cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Using cocoon: source in <xsl:import>s
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:58:24 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

<snip/>

>>> Actually it depends not on header type alone but on usage of the
>>> resource. If it is aggregated to be part of the output - then I
>>> agree with some of your thoughts below. But if it is, say, called
>>> from the flow - none of headers should make it into the actual
>>> response. Another example I could make is authentication action
>>> which authenticates against cocoon:/ resource. No response headers
>>> of internal request should affect actual login page response.
>>

>> Mmmh... yep, it seems this problems is tricky ;-)
>>
>> So propagation of headers depends on the fact that the request
>> "participates" to the building of the final response, meaning its
>> result can be found in some way to what is sent to the browser, e.g.
>> through aggregation, xinclude, internal redirects.
>>
>> How can we determine this ? I'm not sure this can be determined
>> automatically. For example, the headers set by the "src" of
>> FileGenerator can be propagated, while those of the "src" of
>> TraxTransformer should not.
>

> Why it shouldn't? If source of XSLT transformation "Expires:" in one
> hour, that means that result of this transformation is also expires in
> the same one hour, right? :)

Hehe, so the same applies to your authentication pipeline example ;-)

>> And leaving this decision to the caller of SourceResolver.resolve()
>> doesn't seem to be the solution, as it opens the doors to both
>> omissions and abuses.
>>
>> Any idea ?
>

> I'd suggest to always drop the headers. Just to be on the safer side.
> And then think / come up with other solution. If required.

Don't know if dropping them is really on the safer side : what if an
internal pipeline depends on the local or the user agent and this is not
mentioned in the headers ? Proxy servers will improperly cache it for
any locale/browser...

Sylvain