cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Released - binary??
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:21:17 GMT
Sam Chance wrote:
> As a user...the binary is essential.  I understand it makes it easier for
> the developers, but I think the issue needs to be revisited with an intent
> to distribute a binary.

Ok, first of all - I hear you and will raise this issue again on the dev
list. (cc'd).  Can I ask you to elaborate on why you think the one step
build is just out of the question for you?  Is it the ease of first use
when evaluating?  Is it the build time?  Is there something not provided
that is needed?  Honestly, everyone has been very open minded about this
but had a hard time coming up with a quantifiable reason.

But also,
- just to reiterate.  This was not meant to make it easier on the
developers, but the users.  It was observed that Cocoon is not really a
thing that you just "use" -- it's a framework that lets you develop
something.  And starting that process was very painful with a binary
distribution and it is much better with the current one.  There is just
so much in the distribution that any one person doesn't need all of it.
- this was never intended as a permanent direction for Cocoon.  The
arrival of hot-pluggable "real" blocks in (probably) the next release
will give the best of both worlds.

Geoff