cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Build Time
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:21:08 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>> Just ran Cocoon build under optimize it. Not the clean build, but
>>> second one, when there is nothing to do. It took 6 minutes on 1.6GHz
>>> P4 desktop box. Guess where all this time has been spent? Logging!
>>>
>>>    45.26%: Project.fireMessageLoggedEvent() method
>>
>> Just curious : have you tried build.sh>/dev/null ?
>
> No, it does not print *that* much. AFAIU, these are mostly DEBUG events
> (try using that verbose option!).
>
>> I/O is sometimes soooooo slow ;-)
>
> [build CPU is almost always 100% -- clear indication that that's not IO]
> Just don't tell me no-op build takes less then one minute for you! I
> won't belive you!!! :-)

I think there are some steps that are not optimized when rebuilding.
Didn't get a firm enough grasp when I looked into it or I would have
fixed it already, but the blocks builds for instance - are the temp
build files getting re-created every time?  Carsten also had to reverse
some optimization in the blocks build in order to preserve build order.
  You'd probably find a cvs log for the blocks build xsl file.

> Hmmm... Now when I run it without optimizeit I can't see the advantage
> of the patched version... Hmmm... Can cost of synchronized() statement
> differ highly under optimizeit comparing with regular jvm?

Uh oh.  Aren't you supposed to practicing on your motorcycle?  ;)

Geoff