cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [OT] Build Time
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:28:22 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Just ran Cocoon build under optimize it. Not the clean build, but
>> second one, when there is nothing to do. It took 6 minutes on 1.6GHz
>> P4 desktop box. Guess where all this time has been spent? Logging!
>>
>>    45.26%: Project.fireMessageLoggedEvent() method
>

> Just curious : have you tried build.sh>/dev/null ?

No, it does not print *that* much. AFAIU, these are mostly DEBUG events
(try using that verbose option!).

> I/O is sometimes soooooo slow ;-)

[build CPU is almost always 100% -- clear indication that that's not IO]
Just don't tell me no-op build takes less then one minute for you! I
won't belive you!!! :-)

Hmmm... Now when I run it without optimizeit I can't see the advantage
of the patched version... Hmmm... Can cost of synchronized() statement
differ highly under optimizeit comparing with regular jvm?

Vadim