cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Views for readers
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:28:54 GMT
Miles Elam wrote:

> In other words, the pipeline is full of side effects and dependant
> upon things happening behind the curtain (to use a Wizard of Oz
> reference).  You'd be right in that it adds to the confusion.  I agree
> with Vadim.  This is obfuscation in exchange for two lines of
> verboseness.

Just some additional precisions, "mon frère" !

Yes, the pipeline is full of side effects, which can break pipelines at
any point an continue somewhere else without this being explicitely
visible in the pipeline construction statements.

These side effects are called "views", and the way to define views is
through labels.

And even worse : labels can be placed on component definitions, meaning
a clean pipeline with no label attribute at all is full of these side
effects.

So what you call obfuscation has been there *for years*. And everybody's
happy with it.

Sylvain