cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Extending the Bean (non-HTML)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:02:58 GMT
[here's a non-HTML version - mailer misbehaved again :-( ]

In another message I mentioned I've done a lot of reworking of the bean/CLI. I
thought I'd mention what I've done so far, and what I have planned. Doesn't really
qualify for [RT] status, as it doesn't seem all that random to me!

As to the reworking, I've:

 * split the bean into a CocoonWrapper that handles configuring a Cocoon object
and handling a single request, and a CocoonBean which handles crawling

 * Made the CocoonBean use a Crawler class (derived from the one in the
scratchpad Ant task)

 * Moved all of the URI logic (mangling URIs etc) into the Target class

 * made it report the time taken to generate a single page

Next I want to:

 * moving the member variables of the wrapper and bean into a Context object, so
that the Bean can be used in a ThreadSafe environment.

 * rework the way the bean is configured (possibly using Configuration objects)

 * improve reporting so that it reports pages generated, time taken per page, the
links found in a page, stack trace from errors, pages that contain broken links, and
more.

 * Make this reporting use SAX (to a file), so that in future it can be the basis of a
publishing service

 * Get caching working properly, and make it use ifModifiedSince() to determine
whether to save the file or not.

 * Build a simple Ant task to replace Main.java for ant driven processes

 * Make Cocoon work with an external Cocoon object, again for the sake of a
PublishingService

 * replace the contents of the cli.xconf file with correct settings for generating
documentation from the built webapp, keeping the documentation system working

 * implement exclude/include, a la Ant in the cli.xconf

 * make it configurable as to which pages are scanned for links (why generate
/docs/logo.gif?cocoon-view=links)?

 * work out how to implement Vadim's idea for a single pipeline with an
XMLTeePipe to generate both a link view and page view in one hit

 * improve the cli.xconf format to be more flexible, e.g: generate multiple pages to
a single destination, and to have links followed on some pages but not others, etc

Phew. More than I thought! And there's more I haven't mentioned...

Regards, Upayavira