cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Views for readers
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:30:58 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 14/08/2003 14.17:

>> Isn't the problem there that a <map:read> is a whole little pipeline
>> unto
>> itself?  If it were broken into two atomic operations:
>>
>> <map:generate type="binary" src="foo.doc"/>
>> <map:serialize type="binary"/>
>>
>> then we could have a <map:view from-position="first"/> using a
>> content-aware pipeline, and everything would work.
>

> Well, why can't the view simply start from a reader?
>
>  <map:read src="foo.doc"/>

Because a view finishes a partial XML pipeline, meaning it requires a
generator to be already present...

>> I have the feeling that handling non-XML content in Cocoon is Just
>> Wrong,
>> and that <map:read> is just a hack.  The fact that it doesn't integrate
>> with Views is a symptom of this.  In a theoretically pure world, we'd
>> either make Cocoon an XML-only framework and kill <map:read>, or make
>> Cocoon a generic data pipelining framework capable of handling and
>> transforming binary content.
>

> Well, it can be done easily by allowing more than one reader and by
> allowing readers in the xml pipeline.
>
> Some time back I had proposed the following to be possible (and got
> touted as the usual FS man)
>
>  <map:read src="foo1.doc"/>
>  <map:read type="stripstuff"/>
>  <map:read type="otherfilter"/>

Mhhh... I guess "stripstuff" and "otherfilter" are actually
<map:transform-binary> and not <map:read> as they do have an input. Now
how do we "close" the pipeline ? Is there a <map:serialize-binary> ?

> And also:
>
>  <map:read src="foo1.doc"/>
>  <map:generate src="foo1.doc"/>
>  <map:serialize src="foo1.doc"/>
>  <map:read type="zip"/>

Wow! What's the result of this ??

> We can already do this BTW by using the Cocooon protocol, but it's
> such a hack!

Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate on the hack ?

Sylvain