cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Views for readers
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:22:05 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

<snip/>

>Isn't the problem there that a <map:read> is a whole little pipeline unto itself?
 If it were broken into two atomic operations:

><map:generate type="binary" src="foo.doc"/>
><map:serialize type="binary"/>
>
>then we could have a <map:view from-position="first"/> using a content-aware pipeline,
and everything would work.

>I have the feeling that handling non-XML content in Cocoon is Just Wrong, and that <map:read>
is just a hack.  The fact that it doesn't integrate with Views is a symptom of this.  In a
theoretically pure world, we'd either make Cocoon an XML-only framework and kill <map:read>,
or make Cocoon a generic data pipelining framework capable of handling and transforming binary
content.

>Well it's a RT after all.. ;)

Content-aware and binary pipelines in the same post? Wow! Yes, it's
definitely a RT ;-P

Sylvain