cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Official i18n namespace (was Re: I18nTransformer : differences between 2.1 and 2.0)
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:55:22 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Bruno Dumon wrote:
>> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 18:15, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>> Hi mates,
>>> I'm currently porting an i18nized application from 2.0 to 2.1 and
>>> hit an incompatible change due to the namespace change between the
>>> two versions.
>>> Browsing the docs, I can't see any change in the i18n markup. The
>>> changes seem only to be in the component's configuration which now
>>> accept several catalogues.
>>> Did I miss some other important changes (I mean incompatible ones) ?
>> We had this discussion some time ago, and nobody seemed to remember
>> why it changed, but it changed.
>> There have been features added but I don't know if (and don't think
>> that) compatibility of existing features was broken.
>>> If not, why doesn't this transformer accept a "legacy" mode with the
>>> old namespace and configuration ? This would allow for immediate
>>> back compatibility.
>> Seems ok to me. If we tried this before the 2.1 release I would even
>> have been in favor of dropping the 2.1 namespace alltogether, but now
>> it's a bit too late for that.
> Yep, too late. Too bad :-(
>> BTW, the old sitemap configuration (before multi-catalogue support)
>> is still supported.
> I just finished "legacy" support in the I18nTransformer, and the old
> application seems to run just fine.

This makes me think...

What about reverting the "official" i18n namespace to ".../i18n/2.0" as
it was before ? This would allow warning-less compatibility of 2.0
applications and avoid breaking lots of docs, books, articles, etc.

Of course, we should provide "legacy" support for the "../i18n/2.1"
namespace as it has been released (damn, wish I did this a few days before).

What do you think ?

Orixo, the opensource XML business alliance  -

View raw message