cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Starting 2.2
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:42:11 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=106077110314347&w=2
>>
>> Stefano:
>> "the road to real blocks: how to build it minimizing the impact on
>> the existing code and with complete back compatibility (yes, it's
>> possible!)"
>

> Here's my own Mini-RT:

<snip/>

> Now, imagine this applied to Cocoon and blocks.  If we distributed a
> "core" Cocoon, we could dramatically cut down the typical amount of
> code that gets distributed.  If we wanted the PDF block installed, all
> we would do is go to $cocoon_src/blocks/pdf/ and type build install.
> It would download the PDFSerializer, and realize that the FOP jars are
> required, and download them.   We could also come up with some "block
> packages" that are geared towards some basic tasks, i.e. blocks which
> are grouped together to accomplish some goal.. sort of how the more
> popular Linux distros have a "workstation", "server", "basic",
> "everything" install.
>
> That's my RT, I hope I didn't spoil anything anybody was saving :)

You did ;-)

The idea behind blocks uses similar concepts but goes even further by
relying on a discovery system that can ask a server for the location of
dependencies. This means you won't even need a local list of the
available blocks.

But let's not steal Stefano's pleasure of explaining us the results of
his worldwide discussions !

Stefano, seems like a lot of people are ready and waiting ;-)

Sylvain