cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: forced caching of volatile data
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:20:36 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Miles Elam wrote:
>
>> Upayavira is correct;  The functionality is there.  If it doesn't
>> work, either my syntax was faulty or the build is broken.
>>
> Are you certain this works with _uncacheable_ pipelines?  The pipeline
> implementation I think only caches a pipeline up to the last cacheable
> component whether you have set this expires attribute or not.  That is
> there I think just for http header in the response for proxy
> friendlyness.  If I'm right, since the SQLTransformer does not
> implement Cacheable (or whatever) the pipeline will never cache it.

I just made a quick glance at the source for AbstractProcessingPipeline,
and you're right;  It sets an Expires header, but does not cache the
result.  It would be possible to add in some code that if the resource
has no validity objects and the pipeline has an expiry, it creates a
dummy validity object that, if asked, always returns "invalid" but has
the expires timestamp set to maintain the entry.

Sound reasonable?

- Miles Elam