cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject RE: Switching cache to Persistent Store
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:16:17 GMT
On 11 Aug 2003 at 12:06, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
> >
> > I've been exploring how to get the CLI to use Cocoon's caching
> > mechanism and  environment.isLastModified() to prevent the CLI from
> > generating otherwise cached  pages.
> >
> > The problem I currently have is that the cache Cocoon uses is
> > transient, and is
> > thus lost every time the CLI restarts.
> >
> > So:
> > a) How can I switch Cocoon to always use a Persistent cache? Putting
> >  <cache><parameter name="store"
> > value="org.apache.excalibur.store.Store"/></cache> into cocoon.xconf
> > makes  CacheImpl pick a persistent store, but for some reason values
> > aren't in the store  after Cocoon has been restarted.

> What do you mean by "after Cocoon has been restarted"? I'm not sure
> but it could be possible that the store is cleaned on startup.

All I know is that, when the store is transient, the first page that is loaded isn't in the

cache. And, when I switch to the persistent store using the cocoon.xconf <cache>
element, the persistent store is picked by CacheImpl, but still the first page isn't in the

cache, even after multiple runs.

By "after Cocoon has restarted" I'm referring to the fact that, each time you invoke the
CLI, Cocoon starts up from scratch, does its work, and then shuts down. So anything
in a transient cache presumably won't survive between invocations of the CLI.

> > b) How can I get Cocoon to use a persisitent store for CLI and a
> > transient one for  servlet?
> >
> By using different configurations, ok dumb answer I know, but the
> easiest (?) solution is to change the above mentioned store parameter
> to the required values.

Not dumb. But I tried it, but the page still wasn't in the cache after Cocoon had
restarted (through debugging in Eclipse), and I could see that CacheImpl was loading
a DefaultStore rather than a MRUMemoryStore. And default store is based upon Jisp,
which is persistent, no?

I'll have more of a look this evening to see if I can spot why it isn't working. Can you
give me any pointers to where I should look?

Thanks for your help here. I'm pretty green when it comes to caching in Cocoon, but
I'm improving rapidly!

Regards, Upayavira