cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1 README.txt CREDITS.txt announcement.xml
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:40:06 GMT
On 5/08/2003 11:49 stefano@apache.org wrote:

>   new marketing strategy and dealing with all the due credits and copyright restrictions

Thanks for the copyright stuff! Some remarks:

>   +  Apache Cocoon is a web development framework built around the concept
>   +  of separation of concerns (that is: allowing people to do their job
>   +  without having to step on each other toes) and component-oriented web
>   +  RAD.

The term RAD has a very (out)dated sound in my ears. Surely RAD is OK,
but people will hear RAD and understand '4GL'. My rephrasing:

Apache Cocoon is a web development framework built around the concepts
of separation of concerns (making sure people can interact and
collaborate on a project, without stepping on each other toes) and
component-based web development.

>   +  Cocoon implements these concepts around the notion of 'component
>   +  pipelines' modelled after the 'process chain' concept where each
>   +  worker specializes on a particular operation. This makes it possible
>   +  to use a Lego(tm)-like approach in building web solutions where
>   +  these components can be hooked together into pipelines without
>   +  requiring further programming.

That first sentence is very 'jserv-like'. ;-) I would reduce verbiage into:

Cocoon implements these concepts around the notion of 'component
pipelines', each component on the pipeline specializing on a particular
operation. This makes it possible to use a Lego(tm)-like approach in
building web solutions, hooking together components into pipelines
without any required programming.

>   +  We like to think at Cocoon as "web glue" for your web application
>   +  development needs. But most important, a glue that can keep
>   +  concerns separate and allow parallel evolution of the two sides,
>   +  improving development pace and reducing the chance of conflicts.

"What two sides?"... Also, maybe we should sound a little bit stronger:

Cocoon is "web glue for your web application development needs". It is a
glue that keeps concerns separate and

>   +  Cocoon has been designed to interoperate side-by-side with your J2EE
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

"coexist and interoperate"? (introducing more verbiage ;-)

>   +  existing solutions or give them new functionality without requiring
>   +  any change in the existing infrastructure.

<snip/>

>   +This product includes software developed by the IronSmith Project
>   +(http://www.ironsmith.org/).

Eh?

>   +Portions are Copyright (c) 2001 Tivano Software GmbH
>   +(http://www.tivano.de). All Rights Reserved.

Eh?

>   +Portions are Copyright (c) 2001 Scott Robert Ladd. All rights reserved.

Eh?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org